National General Insurance Homeowners Insurance Reviews
3.27 / 5 based on 29 Reviews | Submit Your ReviewSatisfactionClaimsCostBillingService
Based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, GMAC Insurance is affiliated with GMAC Mortgage (a home mortgage corporation) and GMAC Finance, which offers financing on new and used vehicles. GMAC Insurance is also a part of the General Motors (GM) Corporation, and was the first insurance company in the United States to be founded by an automobile manufacturer.
Company Information13736 Riverport Drive
Maryland Heights, MO 63043
(336) 435-2022 (Fax)
Last Updated: 2020-09-24
Company Reviews (29)
Fire brush, May, 2013
After being with this company they decided our zip code was in a fire brush area and cxld our policy
Confused about Non-Renewal, December, 2012
I'm confused why after 7 years and a recent claim why they will not renew now - 02/06/13.
Lot of talk/little action, January, 2019
Victim of Campfire Disaster, lost everything. Insurance keeps delaying payment, passing the buck. Polite & nice, yet nothing happens. Required itemization, which we did, in spite of Insurance Commissioner’s urging of companies to forego this and pay in full for this disaster.
GMAC Since 1986, May, 2013
I have had GMAC coverage thru the Good Sam RV club for many years and have mostly been happy with them, except they (and their subsidiary "Homesite") are no longer providing homeowner coverage in FL. I would be happy to renew if they stayed.
Horrible service, October, 2016
horrible service, will never use them again, people in Cleveland office are very unprofessional and rude. stick to a local agent
GMAC IS NO LONGER WRITING POLICIES IN FLORIDA
GMAC IS NO LONGER DOING BUSINESS IN FL. AS HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE. HAVE BEEN VERY SATIFIED WITH GMAC
Horrible, May, 2016
Tried everything to wear me down and their check also bounced costing me $12 that they haven't refunded. The ultimate worst.
Cancelled, July, 2012
GMAC notified me that Homesite Insurance would no longer offer policies in Florida, so I was forced to obtain other coverage.
PACKAGE WITH CAR, March, 2014
CAR AND HOUSEHOLD INSURANCE GREAT
poor customer service what's the point of filling!, July, 2017
My car was subpost to be fixed my back bumper and my front bumper they started refusing to fix my car once it was in the shop and not to fix parts of my car that was in the claim. Why should my insurance go up of they didn't fix my car that I made a claim for!
gmac insurance, October, 2012
WAS VERY SATIFIED WITH GMAC. THEY ARE NO LONGER INSURING HOMES IN FL. HAD ONE CLAIM AD THEY TOOK CARE OF IT POWER SURGE ON AC
Pretty bad, October, 2018
They told me a month ago the price and installments for my home insurance. After, they got my money as a down payment and my first installment, they sent me another letter with higher installments. They misled me. Don't recommend this insurance. I asked to talk to the supervisor but nobody is available on purpose. They don't want to face their lies.
worst ever, March, 2019
This company is an absolute joke. after sending some company to look at my house they told me i needed a new roof. Well i have been in construction for 50 years and i know when you need a roof and even had another contractor look and send a report and no good the losers are cancelling me.DO NOT USE them they are HORRIBLE .
The Pits go somewhere else !, February, 2019
Need photo of Hearth Rug by fireplace , took fire place out , they would not renew policy because home was under construction , even after sent photos of fire place gone
Worst insurance company in the U.S, May, 2018
When other reviewers say this is a " Borderline criminal company" they were not kidding... I believe this company coined the phrase " Bate and switch "
One star rating is still too much for this company.
reason for seeking new insurer, August, 2012
will no longer insure in FL
Underwriter doesn't provide insurance in FL, August, 2012
They have changed underwriters and offering others, but I would like to find my own.
good, July, 2012
Never had a problem, payment through escrow was easy, not sure why we they are leaving Florida. Hope to get some insurance at an affordable cost without delay.
More About National General Insurance
GMAC Insurance is available throughout the United States. Although the company is affiliated with General Motors, you do not need to own a GM car in order to have them as your insurance provider. The GMAC Insurance website has a learning center full of information about every type of insurance that they offer, including:
- Automobile Insurance
- Home Insurance
- Recreational Vehicle (RV) Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Mexico Insurance
- Collector/Classic Car Insurance
- Health Insurance
- GM/GMAC Customer Discounts for those who have more than one GMAC account or who own a GM vehicle.
- Paid-in-Full Discount for paying for your insurance policy up front rather than in installments.
- Multi-Vehicle Discount for having more than one vehicle combined on a single policy. This includes RV's, motorcycles, and automobiles.
- GM Loyalty Discount for those who own only GM vehicles that are insured with GMAC Insurance.
- Safe-Driver Discounts for people who have completed a safe-driver course or who have an active OnStar account.
- Motorcycle Discounts for those who are considered safe riders, or who have multiple vehicles on their policy along with their motorcycles.
- OnStar Subscriber Discounts for people who have an active OnStar account.
- Low Mileage Discounts for people who only drive less than 15,000 total in a single year.
- GM Family First Discounts for customers who either work for GM or have a direct family member who does.
- Affinity Discounts for people who support various charities and organizations.
- GM Supplier Discount for people who work for a company that supplies parts and other items to General Motors.
Besides the online learning center, the GMAC website also has an online claims center, and customer care section. You can receive an online quote, manage your policy, or find a local GMAC insurance agent to contact if you have additional questions.